How to Prepare for a Move
At Gentle Giant Moving Company, we know whether you’re moving across town or moving long distance, planning a move can be a daunting task. To help you tackle the process with ease, we have prepared the following moving checklist.
How to Prepare One Month Before Moving Day
- Contact Gentle Giant Moving Company for a free moving estimate and to book your move day. If you are planning a move in the summer, you may wish to call movers two months in advance to ensure availability on your desired moving day.
- Order moving boxes and packing supplies.
- Begin packing. Clearly label boxes with name, contents, and destination for the box (i.e. “DR” for Dining Room, “MBR” for Master Bedroom). View our Pack Like the Pros videos for further moving and packing tips.
- Sort, discard, and donate unwanted items.
- Notify the post office.
- Notify your doctors, dentists, and other health service providers.
- Notify the human resources and/or payroll department at your workplace.
- Confirm elevator, loading dock, and parking reservations/parking permits for moving day at both current and destination addresses.
How to Prepare Two Weeks Before Moving Day
- Make arrangements for disassembly of specialty items (pianos, swing sets, etc.).
- Make arrangements for child care and/or a pet sitter for moving day.
- Arrange for time off from work to prepare for the move and to be present on moving day.
- Notify your local department of motor vehicles for change of address on your driver’s license.
- Notify the necessary utility companies: Telephone, Cell Phone, Electric, Gas/Oil (also, schedule gas appliances to be disconnected), Cable, Internet Service Provider, Water, Home security/alarm.
How to Prepare One Week Before Moving Day
- Pack fragile and loose items from drawers into moving boxes.
- Confirm your moving day and time with your moving company. Gentle Giant’s move coordinators will contact you one to three days prior to your move to ensure all details are accurate for moving day.
- Complete the high-value inventory form (from the original paperwork sent by your move coordinator) and choose the appropriate valuation (moving insurance) option. Gentle Giant’s professionals are happy to assist with this process.
- Remove all permanently affixed items you wish to take from walls and ceilings, such as drapes, lighting fixtures and ceiling fans.
- Change your address with all newspapers, magazines, and other periodicals to which you subscribe.
- Alert friends and family to new address.
How to Prepare One Day Before Moving Day
- Consolidate clearly marked moving boxes of fragile items in one area of your home. Alert the movers about these moving boxes on moving day.
- Identify furniture that is fragile or has been weakened by previous damage and bring it to your movers’ attention on moving day.
- Separate and mark items not intended to be moved by your movers.
- Isolate checkbook, keys, passports, plane tickets, cash, credit cards, and prescription medications. These should travel with you in your personal vehicle on moving day.
- Defrost, drain, wash, and dry refrigerators and freezers.
- Drain gasoline and oil from lawn mowers, generators, snow blowers, etc.
- Disconnect propane tank from gas grill. Your movers will not be able to transport the tank on moving day.
- Clear walkways and driveway during inclement weather.
Moving with Gentle Giant makes the moving process much easier for our customers. Get a quote today for your upcoming move.