At Gentle Giant Moving Company, we believe we have a responsibility to not only care for our customers and employees, but also for the environment we share with them.
We work hard each day to be one of the leading Green Moving Companies by; supporting responsible initiatives which include reducing waste, reusing and recycling materials, investing in electric vehicles and solar panels to power our warehouses, donating to tree planting programs, and much more!
“Since its inception in 1980, Gentle Giant has strived to go above and beyond for our customers, employees, and local communities. But it doesn’t end there. With the guidance of Gentle Giant’s Green Committee, we are fully committed to protecting the planet we operate on. Our mission is to minimize our carbon footprint and improve the local communities we serve by; sourcing sustainable materials and equipment, recycling responsibly, creating more energy-efficient facilities, and partnering with local eco-friendly organizations. We also aim to be a reliable source of knowledge on the topic of environmentalism for our employees and customers through resources, including blog posts and web content.“
Green Moving Company Initiatives
How we make our Moves Greener:
- Reduce and reuse our moving boxes and packing supplies whenever possible.
- $55 for retrieval of used moving boxes and packing supplies.
- Resell used boxes at a discounted price.
- Collect and consolidate mattress bags and box springs for recycling.
- Collect all non-reusable moving boxes, which are then compacted and sent to a recycling center.
- Recycle anywhere between 80,000 – 100,000 pounds of materials each year.
- Use only biodegradable foam peanuts.
- Use oxo-biodegradable bubble wrap, degrading into only water, carbon dioxide and less than 1% natural biomass.
- Deliver used and unwanted furniture to donation centers like Household Goods in Acton, MA.
- Provide moving boxes manufactured from 90% post-consumer recycled materials.
- Source the production of our moving boxes and packing materials from companies who participate in Sustainable Forestry Initiative programs.
- Gentle Giant also plans to become fully paperless. This will involve eliminating all paper-based documents like the bill of lading, inventories, and more and replacing these documents with electronic forms.
How we make our Equipment Greener:
- We purchased our first piece of electric equipment in 2022. Our plan is to switch to all electric or hybrid-powered vehicles in the coming years.
- All company vehicles automatically shut down after 5 minutes of sitting idle.
- All company forklifts (except one) are electric powered.
How we make our Facilities Greener:
- We have solar panels to power a number of our warehouses and offices with plans to implement this companywide.
- All Gentle Giant facilities are equipped with filtered water dispensers.
- All locations have educational signage to encourage employees to partake in recycling initiatives.
- Our warehouses have LED lighting which is motion activated to reduce usage.
- Office printing paper is made from recycled materials and printer cartridges are recycled.
- Office kitchen utensils are made from corn starch making them compostable.
- Use Forest Stewardship Council certified products for external marketing materials.
- We encourage employees to cycle to work through incentive programs. As a result, we are proud to share that Gentle Giant is a “Bike Friendly Business” award winner by the City of Boston.
Our Green Partnerships
We are proud to partner with a number of eco-friendly organizations working towards a sustainable environment.
- Member of the Sustainable Business Network of MA.
- Member of the Climate Action Business Association.