New York Movers
Gentle Giant Moving Company
We are your hometown NYC movers, and when it comes to the perfect, stress-free move, we really do hit it out of the park. Gentle Giant is your trusted team when you’re looking for a local NYC moving company.
Situated conveniently in Redhook, Brooklyn, Gentle Giant’s New York location allows us to serve customers throughout the city. We serve all five boroughs of NYC including Brooklyn, Manhattan, The Bronx, Queens, and Staten Island. We are also able to service Westchester County and the surrounding counties of Rockland, Putnam, and Suffolk.
Across the street or across the Bay, we've got you covered.
We can help you pack or unpack any size move.
Pack it up
Gentle Giant promises to deliver exceptional service to every customer, guaranteed (100% Crew Guarantee). Contact us anytime if you believe we have performed otherwise. We are proud to offer a money-back guarantee for every member of your moving crew. Learn more about some of our exceptional employees here!
Gentle Giant knows your neighborhood. Whether you’re moving from a Brownstone in Park Slope or a high-rise on the Upper East Side, we’ve been there. Our NYC movers are adept at navigating all types of apartments, condos, and homes on the streets and avenues of New York City. We’ll even move you inside the same building.
With 40 years in the business and thousands of NYC moves under our belt, we know the requirements of local building management companies, as well as the unique needs of customers from New York City to the suburbs. We can accommodate any move, big or small. Need boxes and packing? – We’ve got that too. Gentle Giant has been the best mover in New York City since 2005!
With 20 locations nationwide Gentle Giant can move you to anywhere in the lower 48 States. Unlike the van lines, we don’t subcontract our services to move your stuff. When you choose Gentle Giant for a long distance move, we have the capacity so that your items are only handled by Gentle Giant employees start to finish. Learn about some of our most popular routes here.
With multiple warehouses across our footprint Gentle Giant can meet your long or short term storage needs. When you store your belongings with Gentle Giant, we inventory, label, and store everything ourselves in self-contained crates that can be accessed only by Gentle Giant staff. We also have options for electronic inventories that include itemized photographs of each of your items.
Moving can be stressful, so leave the hard work to us! We’ll come the day before your move and pack everything for you. When you hire Gentle Giant to pack your valuable belongings there is the added guarantee that your items will arrive safe and sound at the other end. We take the necessary care and precision required to pack everything from crystal stemware to your baseball card collection like they were our own. If you want to pack yourself, though, we offer free delivery of moving boxes to your home too!
Gentle Giant prides itself on being a different kind of moving company. We believe that it is the quality of our people – the Giants – which makes us stand apart from the rest. Gentle Giant’s New York City movers are an exceptionally tight-knit team with decades of service between them, showing their true dedication to the company. All Giants embody our core principals of a professional workforce with skill, intellect, and integrity.
Founded in 1980 by owner, Larry O’Toole, Boston has been the national headquarters for Gentle Giant Moving Company for 40 years. As we have grown outside of New England, Gentle Giant has been recognized by numerous publications as a great place to work and a leader in the moving and storage industry.
Check out some of our reviews on Google or see our own moving company reviews here.
NYC Moving FAQs
Are there any hidden fees to worry about when moving with Gentle Giant?
Our estimates include all of the fees associated with your move upfront. Meanwhile, a lot of other moving companies will give you an initial move price and surprise you with extra fees for items like tape, pads, boxes, and dollies at the end of your move. With Gentle Giant, our estimates will include all of the charges associated with your move from the beginning so there are no surprises at the end. This means that oftentimes our estimates will be higher because we care about you being fully informed. Make sure you ask other moving companies what additional fees you will be charged at the end of your move.
How do I move out of an apartment in NYC?
1) First, dispose of or donate any unwanted items. You can hire a junk removal company or donate items to a thrift store.
2) Make a checklist of items to be moved. Take note of items like large appliances and sofas that are too heavy or awkward to move yourself. Then enlist a friend or family member to help move them.
3) Take measurements of your exits, entryways, and large furniture. This way you can determine which items will fit through the doorway and which will need to be disassembled.
Disassembling Your Furniture…
1) Bedding: First completely strip the bed and place all bedding in a moving box.
2) Base & Mattress: Remove the base and mattress which will be wrapped in a protective mattress bag.
3) Footboard & Headboard: Once these have been removed it is time to unscrew the headboard and footboard from the bed-frame. Be sure to mark the top of the bolt or screw with a piece of colored tape. Then mark the corresponding hole with the same colored piece of tape.
4) Slats: If the bed does not have a base then it is likely a slat bed frame. Some slat frames can simply be rolled up while others will require you to unscrew each slat individually.
1) Remove all upholstery including cushions, pillows, and arm covers.
2) Remove the arms from your couch by unscrewing all screws with a Phillips head screwdriver.
3) Remove the frame from the seat itself using a Phillips head screwdriver. Once you have removed all six screws (three on each side) the front side of the sofa should lift right off.
4) If the couch has legs, unscrew them with the screwdriver to shave off another six inches or so from the total dimensions.
While you may be tempted to save money on your move by disassembling and moving items yourself, the associated stress and risk of damage is not worth it. Instead, let our NYC movers do the hard work for you. Our NYC movers are expertly trained in the assembly, disassembly, and transportation of furniture so you can sit back and relax while we take care of your move.