Our teams analyze the most popular types of moves each quarter to see where to add resources based on demand. One of our most popular types of moves each quarter is long distance moving, thanks to our professional and courteous reputation. We’ve gathered some stats to give customers insights into our 2017 moving trends year-to-date below.
During the first six months of 2017, Gentle Giant Moving Company completed 760 long distance moves, which is 25 fewer moves than the 785 completed during the same time period in 2016. We have observed a slower than usual start to this year’s moving season, which some believe is related to a “wait and see” attitude that often occurs during election years.
In Total, Our Long Distance Movers Transported:
- 4.1M lbs. of household goods, including everything from the usual sofas, tables, and chairs to the more challenging pianos, safes, and antique furniture.
- Of the 760 total moves completed, 729 were household residential, 25 were commercial or office moves, and 6 were piano-only moves.
- 265 of the total interstate moves we completed were 1 day trips and 97 moves were completed via our Gentle Giant Logistics (GGX) division. The remainder of the total movers were traditional long-haul, multi-day trips.
- The largest shipment completed was 30,000 lbs. and the longest move was between Massachusetts to California spanning more than 3,000 miles.
- In total 27,694 man hours were used to complete these long distance moves.
Long Distance Movers Most Popular Origin Cities and States
The most frequent origin of long distance moves for Gentle Giant customers during the first quarter was Massachusetts, followed by Rhode Island, and New Hampshire. The cities in which most of our long distance moves originated in during this period were Boston, Cambridge, and Washington, DC.
Long Distance Movers Most Popular Destination Cities and States
The most popular destination of our long distance moves during the first quarter was Massachusetts, followed by New York, and New Hampshire. The cities in which most of our long distance moves were completed were New York City, Boston, and Washington, DC.