Please remember to keep yourself well hydrated.
Do not wait until you feel thirsty. It takes 24 to 48 hours to properly re-hydrate.
Take yourself out of a box run if you feel extreme fatigue.
Symptoms of Heat Exhaustion
· Headaches, dizziness, lightheadedness, and even fainting
· Weakness, and moist skin
· Mood changes such as irritability or confusion (Note: this does not include dispatch)
· Upset stomach or vomiting
· Dry, hot skin with no sweating
· Mental confusion or losing consciousness
· Seizures or convulsions
Preventing Heat Stress
· Know signs and symptoms of heat related illnesses; monitor yourself and your coworkers
· Rest when possible
· Drink lots of water. About 1 cup every 15 minutes is recommended.
· Wear lightweight, light colored, loose fitting clothes
· Avoid alcohol, caffeinated drinks, or heavy meals
What to do for heat related illness
· Call 911.
While waiting for help to arrive:
· Move the worker to a cool shaded area.
· Loosen or remove heavy clothing.
· Provide cool drinking water
· Fan and mist the person with water